Monday, October 11, 2010

Journey to Mecca

This morning, I had to wake up at 3:00 in the morning in order to get to Mecca in time for lunch. Yet again, I had to pack up. My host family and I drove out of Israel, after having our car checked for any refugees. We then proceeded to drive to Mecca.

Once we arrived, we ate lunch at an Arabic restaurant. Alas, there were no McDonald's in the restaurants vicinity, so lamb and chick peas had to do.

While my new family and I were in Mecca, we saw some of the great religious wonders most important to the Muslim world. We were able to witness one of the prayer sessions at the Al Haram Mosque and take a tour of the building. After prayer was over, we went
into the Kaaba’s pavilion and were able to touch the Holy Black Stone. I managed to take a few pictures of the mosque and thought it was amazing. I caught a picture of my host family's hands as they rubbed the silver surrounding the stone. When it was my turn to touch the stone, it felt smooth and polished from all the hands that had rubbed it over time.



After touching the Black Stone, we went to another Arabic restaurant for dinner. It wasn't exactly home cooking, so I left hungry. Again, no McDonald's, so I grew desperate and had to settle for BK. I then went to bed, a bit more satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, thanks for sharing your experiences with the world!

    Augadha

    ReplyDelete